I have been busy again this morning with more design development ideas.
After a brief tutorial yesterday, I have decided that my earlier designs may be too commercial, and although they are beautiful and I am very pleased with them, I need to take the opportunities that I have whilst still at University to be as experimental and creative as I can be.
I am very used to being quite tight and precise with everything that I design - be it drawing, designing repeat layouts, printing etc. but I also need to play around with being a little looser, more abstract with the way that I work to be as versatile a designer as I can.
The design above is taken from the earlier idea with the flowers and mirrored magpies.
I have taken the other motifs out as they created a design very similar to what is already on the market and I need to be innovative with my ideas. So I have created a background in a similar way to that on the previous design, but added further layers - mirroring, rotating and changing the opacity using Photoshop to create quite an abstract base to work on.
I then took a section of branch next to the magpie and repeated it over the design, rotating and mirroring to produce the look of intertwined branches.
This similarly is taken from the previous magpie design, but instead of creating a repeat pattern I decided to design a placement print. I see this perhaps being used as curtains, bedding or cushion covers - the floral pattern along the bottom creating a pretty trim running along the edge of the product with the bird sitting in the corner.
This design consists of one sketchy floral motif repeated in different sizes and orientations overlaid to produce an abstract, quirky pattern.
I am really looking forward to the next few weeks and experimenting with design development even further. I hope after attending digital print and laser/robo cutter workshops I will be filled with even more creative ideas to produce some very innovative designs.