I am looking to produce a few lengths of wallpaper as part of my Final Major project so last friday I took part in an advanced print workshop to get an insight into the process of printing a design in repeat. I had previous experience with printing a one-colour way 3metre length but this workshop showed us how to print with 5 colour ways.
The group of 9 were split up and given specific tasks to prepare for printing - mixing up dyes and pigments, putting new backing cloth on print table and coating and exposing screens.
I have included a variety of photos to show what we did, step by step:
Koda trace designs, lined them up to make sure they repeated correctly before exposing them onto the screens
Large furnishing silk-screens, coated and exposed with our designs on
Mixing up printing pigments in the dye lab - we used 3 illuminated discharge pastes (magenta, orange and turqouise) and a pigment discharge paste (lime). I was part of the group responsible for this. We started off by mixing up the discharge paste and once it had settled for half an hour we added in the dye mixes and pigments to create the pastes we would be printing with.
Very messy dye mixing cupboard - this was due to lots of experimentation buy my group and I to make sure we got a really lovely violet coloured dye for our base fabric
Our 3m length of Spun Silk was left in the boiler unit to soak up the dye. We put it in the boiler as fabrics take on more intense colours if the dye and fabric is hot. This was continually stirred to ensure the piece of fabric was blotch free
3m length of fabric stretched and pinned out on print table ready to print onto once it had been rinsed and dried. We were really pleased with the outcome; although the colour turned out more blue that violet after being washed, it was still a beautiful colour and perfectly flat!
Length after first layer of print was completed. The lime and blue work really well together and I am excited to see it once the other layers are added and it has been steamed and washed!
Will try to post a picture of the finished piece in all of its glory asap :)
Photos courtesy of Rebecca Wilson